For me, this month is all about hitting the reset button. I reset my 2020 goals. I revamped the See Jane Write website. And I’m doing the work to reset my relationship with God.
I’ve also been resetting my 40 Before 40 list.
Back in February when I turned 39 I shared a list of 40 things I want to do before my 40th birthday.
Then COVID-19 ended the world as we knew it.
Shortly after that I learned I would need to undergo chemotherapy. (In case you’re new around here, I was diagnosed with breast cancer in January, but initially told I would only need surgery and radiation for treatment.)
COVID, cancer, and chemo obviously mean that many of my 40 Before 40 plans — like traveling and hosting in-person events — simply can’t happen. And for a while, I was going to just ditch the whole project. But that felt too much like giving up and that’s something I refuse to do.
So here’s my updated 40 Before 40 List.
- Write a book I’m proud of.
- Write and send a proposal for this book to a publishing company or agent. – DONE!
- Send pitches to 10 of my favorite publications.
- Re-release my See Jane Freelance e-course. – DONE!
- Join the Birmingham Association of Black Journalists. – DONE!
- Get featured on the Brown Girls Who Write Instagram account. – DONE! See the feature here.
- Be featured on the ReThink Breast Cancer website and Instagram account. — DONE! Check out my interview here.
- Be featured in Wildfire Magazine. – DONE! (And I’ll be announcing an excited See Jane Write x Wildfire Magazine collaboration soon!)
- Be featured on one of my favorite podcasts.
- Interview one of my favorite female entrepreneurs.
- Have my first $10K month as a writerpreneur.
- Get a BhamWiki page. – DONE! See my page here.
- Revamp the See Jane Write website. – DONE! (Isn’t she beautiful?!)
- Revamp Javacia.com.
- Buy a new car. – DONE! (Head to my Instagram to take a look.)
- Get a new passport.
- Do a photoshoot with my husband. – DONE! See a couple of pics here and here.
- Help plan Smart Party 2020 for The Women’s Fund. – DONE! (And it was the most successful Smart Party ever! )
- Be a Smarty Pants Team Captain and raise $1K for The Women’s Fund with my team. – DONE!
- Speak at Creative Mornings Birmingham. – DONE!
- Walk for exercise for at least 3o minutes for 366 consecutive days. – DONE!
- Host the See Jane Walk 30-Day Challenge. – DONE! Thanks to everyone who participated!
- Participate in the DC Wonder Woman Virtual 10K. – DONE!
- Develop a post-cancer nutrition plan.
- Buy 7 new bras that fit properly.
- Find a new hobby.
- Write my will. (I know that’s morbid AF, but it needs to be done.)
- Go to a drive-in movie. — DONE!
- Learn to love Twitter.
- Learn to love Pinterest.
- Start going live on Instagram regularly.
- Reach 10K followers on Instagram.
- Make See Jane Write my full-time job — for real.
- Host #BlogLikeCrazy 2020 and award a cash prize to one participant. – DONE!
- Read 20 books in 2020.
- Start planning a post-cancer/post-pandemic trip.
- Learn how to style short hair.
- Pay off all of my credit card debt. – DONE!
- Kick cancer’s ass! – DONE!
- Make a 50 Before 50 list!
What do you want to do before your next milestone birthday?