As a non-fiction writer with lots of fiction writer friends, November can be a lonely month for me. Most of my friends are locked away in their home offices or metaphorically chained to a table at their favorite coffee shop working on novels for National Novel Writing Month. So a few years ago I decided to start #bloglikecrazy – a challenge for myself and other bloggers to publish 30 original posts in 30 days in the month of November.
While this all started at my personal blog, WriteousBabe.com, the women of See Jane Write were so excited about the challenge that #bloglikecrazy has become our signature online event.
I know that to some people blogging every day for 30 days probably seems, well, crazy. But there are benefits to doing this. I promise.
Blogging every day for 30 days will remind you that writing is a practice. Just as athletes and musicians need to practice daily to perfect their craft, so do writers. And a blog is the perfect place to do so. Blogging every day for 30 days will also teach you how to be consistent. If you can pull off blogging daily for a month, then surely you can update your blog once, twice, or three times a week.
During #bloglikecrazy you are free to blog about anything you want, but I always offer a list of writing prompts just in case you get hit with blogger’s block. But before we get to those, I’d like to offer a few tips on how to stay consistent during this challenge.
Remember three key things:
Blogging is a calling. When daily blogging gets tough, remind yourself of why you ever started your blog in the first place. Stay focused on your mission and your vision.
Blogging is a job. In order to blog consistently you must treat your blog as if it’s your job. This means you’re going to blog even when you don’t feel like it. You’d never call your boss and say, “Hey, I don’t feel like coming to work today, so see you tomorrow.” So don’t treat your blog that way either.
Blogging is a romance. Because my husband and I are both extremely busy people, we have to plan regular date nights to ensure we spend quality time together. You need to do the same thing with your blog. Don’t simply plan out what you want to write about each day; plan when you’re going to actually write the posts, too. Try setting aside days when you can go to your favorite coffee shop and work on a number of posts at once. In other words, take your blog out on a date.
#BlogLikeCrazy Writing Prompts
- Why do you want to blog like crazy?
- What are your goals for the month?
- Write about your favorite writers or bloggers.
- Teach your readers how to do something.
- Honor a woman in your life.
- Share 30 things you love right now.
- Do a Q&A with one of your favorite writers or bloggers.
- Tell us about your new fitness regimen (or why you don’t have one).
- How does blogging affect your writing?
- Write about a controversial topic or explain why you won’t.
- Show your readers how you plan your day.
- What do you believe?
- Are you a feminist? Why or why not?
- What’s your favorite social media network? Why?
- Share your favorite TED talks.
- Have you every successfully pitched an idea? Tell your readers all about it.
- Confess your love for blogging.
- What are you doing to become a better writer?
- Try something new and tell your blog readers all about it.
- What books are you reading right now?
- Show your body some love.
- Write about a dream deferred or a goal you knew you needed to let go.
- Early bird or night owl? Discuss.
- Write a fun post about fashion.
- Celebrate a fellow blogger or writer.
- What are you thankful for?
- How do you spend your time off?
- Celebrate your favorite small businesses.
- Show off your work space.
- What did you learn from blogging like crazy?
If you plan to #bloglikecrazy with us this month, leave your blog title and URL in the comments. Also, be sure to share your posts on Twitter using the hashtag #bloglikecrazy so I can read and retweet your posts. Also, be sure to share your posts in the See Jane Write Network Facebook group.
And join me this evening at 5 p.m. CT on my new Periscope channel @seejavaciawrite for a little virtual kick-off party to get you excited about blogging like crazy!