On Nov. 1 I led a 4-hour blogging workshop at Church Street Coffee and Books to kick off #bloglikecrazy.
Here are 10 blogging tips I shared with the ladies who attended:
- Write a mission statement for your blog. Never lose sight of why you’re blogging. Know the people you’re trying to help and the message you’re trying to convey.
- Create a strong “About” page. If people like what they see when they visit your blog, they will check out your “About” page to learn more. Be sure your “About” page clearly explains what kinds of posts people can expect from your blog and offers some background on you as well. Include pictures and links to some of your favorite posts, too.
- Write for your ideal reader. Identify your ideal reader and get to know her. What are her passions, problems, hobbies, and dreams? After you determine your ideal reader and what she wants, only blog for her. This sounds scary. This sounds as if you’ll alienate other readers, but you won’t. An ideal reader is someone who not only reads your posts but also shares them with others. Writing for this reader will simply attract more like her.
- Be sure your blog is answering questions and solving problems. Find out what questions or problems your ideal reader has and write posts that address those concerns.
- Tell a story in your blog posts. Whether you write a fashion blog or a business blog, you need to tell stories in your posts. Use a narrative to convey your information. Be sure to add images, too.
- Develop a blogging schedule and stick to it. You don’t have to blog every day, but decide how often you can blog and be consistent.
- Create three features for your blog. When developing features don’t simply follow trends. Choose features that are right for your blog and that you can maintain.
- Start an email newsletter. This is a great way to remind people to read your blog and an excellent way to build a tribe.
- Network. Promote your blog on social media. Interact in Facebook and LinkedIn groups. Participate in Twitter chats. Comment on other blogs.
- Guest blog for sites your ideal reader frequents. This is a great way to increase your readership and build partnerships with other bloggers.
Want to make sure you don’t miss announcements about events like the #bloglikecrazy workshop? Sign up for the See Jane Write newsletter. Click here to join the list!
Each day in November for #bloglikecrazy I’ll be publishing a blog post that answers your questions about blogging, social media, writing, wellness or women’s empowerment. Send your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.