“Caring for myself is not self-indulgence,
it is self-preservation, and that is an act of political warfare.” – Audre Lorde
It’s the first day of the month and thus the day I usually share my goals and plans for the month. But I’m doing things differently for February.
Inspired by See Jane Write member Jessica Furniss of Spiffy Eats & Giggle Water, this month I will be focusing on self-care. During the monthly virtual group coaching session that I offer members, Jessica mentioned that it would be great to challenge the Janes to treat themselves to at least one act of self-care every day for 28 days. I loved the idea!
My word for 2017 was “grace” and I’ve mentioned before that my word for this year is “faith,” a word I chose after reading a post by entrepreneur Maya Elious in which she wrote: “They say faith without works is dead but work without faith is dead, too. Too often we WORK for love and WORK for success and WORK WORK WORK. But unless we BELIEVE and have FAITH that God truly wants to see us win, we will always lose.”
It will take faith to give myself grace this month. It will take faith to believe that I can make time for self-care every single day and still somehow find time to work on my book, my blog, and my business and prepare for my TED Talk. But I believe I can and I believe I am worth it.
And so are you.
I invite you to join me in 28 Days of Grace: A Self-Care Challenge. Together we will commit to at least one act of self-care every day for 28 days.
Here are 28 ideas to get you started:
- Write in your journal.
- Watch your favorite movie on Netflix.
- Have brunch.
- Color, draw or paint.
- Spend one hour reading a book you love.
- Try a face mask or at-home facial.
- Take a yoga class.
- Meditate for at least 15 minutes.
- Eat your favorite pizza on National Pizza Day (which is February 9).
- Take a long, hot bath.
- Go for a walk.
- Take some time to recite affirmations. (Start with these.)
- Wear your favorite outfit.
- Spend quality time with someone you love.
- Indulge in your favorite froyo or another sweet treat.
- Go to the movies.
- Get a massage.
- Read the latest issue of your favorite magazine.
- Binge watch your favorite TV show.
- Buy yourself a present you can afford.
- Go to bed early.
- Look through an old photo album or scrapbook or start a new one. (Check out feminist scrapbooker Rukristin.com for inspiration.)
- Have a girls night.
- Work on a word puzzle.
- Turn on your favorite song and DANCE!
- Catch up on your favorite fashion, food, or lifestyle blog.
- Give yourself a DIY mani/pedi.
- Write a love letter to your body.
If you plan to join in the challenge, let me know in the comments and share your favorite acts of self-care.